CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Maybe sewing is one of my outlets... Look what I made!



Sam loves Thomas. He was with my friend Aimee at Joann's one day and when her daughter started begging for fabric he started begging for this Thomas fabric. Aimee lives down the street and is practically my sister. We are like second mom's to each others kids. We watch each others kids all the time. We tell each other we love each other when we get off the phone, a day doesn't go by that we don't talk. She was there with me the entire divorce and when it comes to dating she is like a mom, her standards are high-- she thinks nobody is good enough for me. I am mostly only allowed to go out with those who she finds for me ;) I'm a big girl and sometimes act like her teenager and go out with whomever I want. Anyway back to the fabric. She didn't buy it because, c'mon he isn't ACTUALLY her child. So she told me about it and Sam needed more jammies, so I got it and made him these. They are his favorites- mine too. They're made of fleece and so cozy, now I want some too! What's with the silly face? Its just Sam-- I love 'em!



I found this soft silky fabric with cozy flannel on the other side at Joann's and fell in love with it. Not only is it pretty, but you dont' have to worry about sticking to your sheets like regular flannel and the inside feels so nice! When the divorce first happend there were a lot of people that were there for me, but two in particular went above and beyond-- my two closest friends and yes Aimee was one of them. The one with the bird mask in my mice post is the other, her name is Shannon. I won't go into too much detail as to all the many things they did for me, but anything you can think of they pretty much did and probably more. So when I told them that I was moving to WA to live near my parents that very week, they sort of began to freak out-- Aimee even more so. She asked how I would move so fast and just matter of factly I said "I'll take what I can for now and come back for the rest eventually." Never mind that I couldn't eat or sleep, or even think straight, but I was making a huge life decision for me and my children and was going to pack up and move to WA just like that! People tried to talk me out of it, saying "you're moving tomorrow?! Maybe you should think about it for a little while. What about all the work you've done on the house?" My response? "I don't care about anything material right now- my house yeah its nice, but its nothing in comparison to what really matters to me." Well I undoubtably received more inspiration and blessings than I probably even know to this day, because each step led me in the right direction and I didn't leave. I eventually came to realize that I needed to stay here and at least get things figured out. A couple of months gradually had me in a strong enough postion to know I could do it by myself (and of course a little help from my friends). Hanging my own Christmas lights and catching my own mice were two things that gave me more credibility in my decision. So back to the Pajamas. I know I tell long stories with lots of tangents, I hope you can follow, if you know me you're use to it. It makes for easy conversation when you talk to me, we never run out of stuff to talk about! The nightgowns--I decided that since I had to be careful with money but I really wanted to give a gift to my two closest friends when I moved, that I would sew them a nightgown like the one you see Ashlin wearing. It would be something that was useful and nice and would cost a lot more to buy in the store. And its cheesy but I really wanted them to have something to remember me by after I left and knew when they put it on, a memory or two might flash into their minds. That was a comforting thought to me. So I began by sewing them these nightgowns. Shannon says her husband calls it her angel nightgown since she looks like an angel when she's wearing it-- of course that makes me happy. And of course she IS and angel . Ashlin loved them so much as did I, that we decided she needed one. You can tell when she puts it on she feels really good. She, not even knowing about what Shannon's husband had said, started calling it her angel nightgown. I love her in it-- she does look like my little angel! I want one now too :)!

5 comments:

Erin said...

P.S. love your curtains in the background of that picture with your kids. I haven't seen them in person yet, but they look like they turned out so cute!!!

Wudel Family said...

Wow, I did not know you were such a talented seamstress! Ashlin looks beautiful in her nightgown--so much like you.

Julie said...

Hello my talented, awesome sister. Love the jammies and the nightgown. Good to see you're blogging again.

Kjrsten said...

oh, how I wish I could sew! You are so talented, just like grandma sherri! So glad you are blogging again!

Molly W. said...

I am SO glad your blogging again! You have been in my thoughts a ton and I hope you keep this up so I can stay better informed on how you are. Your daughter is a doll and looks like a mini-Alisa. Lots of love to you, my friend. xo