CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hackjob Hair

This is Ashlin before we cut her hair-- this is a silly picture back from December. So seeing as it is March her hair was even longer.

She had been growing out her hair for Locks of Love for around 2 years I think now. Sweet girl huh? She really is. Her hair was beautiful in many ways, but a little hard to take care of. We both were ready for a cut. I had recently seen an old picture of her with shorter hair and thought she looked so darn cute. Still I was patient not wanting for her to cut her hair after so much growing and hard work before it was time.


Well the boys were due up for a cut and so as I cut their hair and she was feeling some desire to join the ranks. She was ready for a cut. So we measured it out and she had 10 inches which is the minimum for locks of love, but the last inch was not such nice hair- bad ends and not thick, but quite sparse. So I trimmed off the bad ends measured again and got 9 inches. So I then decided to research and see what would happen if we cut now. I had remembered Hilary Swank cut her hair for Pantene, so I decided to check out their site. It turned out you only need 8 inches for them, so we decided we were good to

go. So we followed the instructions and put her hair in a good tight ponytail and I chopped! It was very scary! It was a lot of hair and I wanted to make sure the hair she wasn't keeping was usuable for Pantene and that the hair she was keeping looked decent and wasn't TOO short. I had to chop and chop and chop to get throught it all. I was really afraid because it wasn't making a real clean cut. I just kept tellng myself if I mess up we can take her to a salon to get it fixed and that hair does grow back. I DID know that cutting from a ponytail at the back of her head it would end up in an A-line cut, where her hair in the front was longer and the back was shorter- which I wanted. It was already pretty cute as soon as the ponytail was cut and the hair fell forward, but it needed some cleanup. She looked in the mirror while I had to run and help her brother- it wasn't fixed yet but she said "I already think it looks cute!"I was relieved. So I evened out some areas to make them straight and in my amateur way tried to do some layers in the back. I quickly realized it was well beyond my ability and that we needed to take her to a salon or to one of my friends who is a beautician and ask for help. Well I first called a couple friends and one line was busy and the other wasn't home, then we got busy and still haven't fixed it-- it looks good enough for now, but I do need to get her in somewhere to get the professional touch. Doing hair that short is hard, it has to be precise. I keep catching her looking in the mirror and smiling which is so cute. She also gets really excited to see friends who haven't seen her hair yet. I love her so much and am so glad to have a daughter with such a big heart. I also am just glad to have a daughter. She is like a best friend and she is so forgiving of me. Really, she tells me that I am the best mom in the world and means it, and I'm far from it! I guess I only need to wait a few years 'til she's a teen and her mind will quickly change. I hope not though- I hope we are buddies forever. I usually can't imagine anything but the sweet little girl she is, but every once in a while I catch a glimpse of some major attitude!

7 comments:

lrbodine said...

I think that cut looks adorable on her! Good for her for donating her hair at such a young age. And I am impressed you did that well at home . . . I would be too scared to do that!

Unknown said...

Genevieve and I are doing the same thing! It's nice to know Pantene requires less hair because I am ready for Genevieve to have shorter hair NOW ~ less maintenance during the school rush. I'll have to check out their website.

As for Ashlin ~ she looks great! Older, I think. I especially love the mirror looks. You know you FEEL great when you can smile at yourself in the mirror!

Having daughters is such a blessing. I have really learned to love myself through loving them, receiving their love, and teaching them how to love themselves.

Erin said...

Okay you guys rub it in...about the girls. No really, I hope I am blessed to have a girl someday, it almost brings me to tears to think of it. I LOVE my boys more than anything so don't think otherwise, but there is just something about having that buddy to shop with, talk with, etc. And I love the smiles at herself in the mirror too, that's priceless. Ashlin is so cute and that's sweet she did that. I wonder if she will have some attitude a little like her mom as a teen:)

Kim said...

Audrey and I did the same thing a couple of years ago but we went to a salon that cut it and donated it for us - I'm not as brave as you are!

Alisa said...

I know it comes as a shock that I cut the hair myself. I am kind of surprised myself. I don't know if it is that I am gutsy or lazy or what. I just do stuff and usually it works out okay or else I would have learned my lesson- I know my limits usually. Yesterday Ashlin had just had a bath and her hair was wet and I had had some time to think about how to fix it and whether or not I NEEDED to take her into a salon. I decided I could fix her hair the rest of the way. The fact that it was wet this time was helpful (I wanted it dry for the ponytail cut) and I used the techniques I have seen professionals use and I can honestly say it looks awesome now! The layers in the back are so cute and perfect. I guess I like being self sufficient and knowing how to do stuff myself. I may have been this way a litte before marrying Ed but since then I think he has brought it out even more because he has to do EVERYTHING himself. When we first got married he talked me into learning to cut his hair and THAT was scary. He had had better and worse cuts by me- he has weird hair that is hard to cut (my boys hair is much easier)but now he cuts his own-- just buzzes it all real close. We had the addition done for us and I could barely believe he wanted that! What we had done was the bare bones.

Erin you will have a daughter. I understand the worry though. Boys are so GREAT too, but every mom should be able to have a daughter.

anna said...

oh my gosh!! she looks like an adorable big girl now!! i love it! i told isla i would chop her hair this summer...we'll see if she wants me to go through with it when the time comes! ashlin looks sooo beautiful!!

Laurie said...

I want to do that to my hair! Great for you that you can cut hair. I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do what I think I can do myself. The times when I have payed to have any of my kids hair cut, I always come home and redo it. It's like you said, I just know their hair better than the stylest and I know how I like it. I just need to figure out how to do my own hair!