CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

wedding presents

When Ed and I got married, we didn't register anywhere. Why? We were to busy in school, work and being in the sappiest of love ever. Life was overwhelming and we had no parents around to tell us what we should be doing- registering didn't really occur to us. I think that kind of thing was just not on my mind. So we got all kinds of things from all over and most all of it was really good. It was Christmas time- we were married on the 21st of December, so we got a lot of Christmasy stuff- a glass christmas platter, a christmas frame and christmas decorations. One thing we opened was a box for a Christmas tree stand. We figured oh good, we will need this next year, that was thoughtful. Ed's mom even made a comment about how pricey those can be so that was a thoughtful gift. So we never opened it since we weren't going to get a tree that year but stuck it in a closet and sent off a thank you note telling the Dyer family (yes Anna your family must have needed a new stand that year and used the box for a much better gift which they gave us) thank you for the Christmas tree stand. We never heard anything or discussed it since, I am not sure that they ever knew about all of this. By the way a few years later my Brother Brandon married their daughter Anna making us all family now. So finally the funny day came when I am not sure why, and it wasn't because we got a tree, but we opened the tree stand box and inside was a gorgeous 2 tiered plate stand. I LOVED it and about laughed myself to death thinking about how I actually thought they got me a Christmas tree stand and how this gift was so much more their style, and how I was a dummy for not looking inside, and about what the heck they thought when they got my thank you card. Their family has good classy taste and I should have known. I still have the plate stand 11 1/2 years later and it sits in my kitchen with fruit on it as I write. I have used it at babyshowers and bridal showers and other gatherings to make desserts and appetizers and other food look beautiful. I think next time I see Val I will tell her this funny story.

5 comments:

lrbodine said...

This story is hilarious - especially knowing the Dyers and their taste. Classic. It reminds me of the tv show (King of Queens) where they found a $1,000 check in a gravy boat that they had never used and were trying to figure out if they could still cash the check 10 years later.

Julie said...

That's a great story. Hilarious! You'll have a blast telling the Dyers about it.

Erin said...

Yeah, I thought of the same thing Lachelle thought of with Doug and Carrie. I didn't know that that was from the Dyers--funny!

Molly W. said...

That is hysterical Alisa! I bet Anna will appreciate this one. :)

anna said...

that is tooo funny! i'm dying thinking about how my family probably got the thank you card...and i'm sure my mom bought the gift, and my dad read the card and probably thought, "NICE Val, got Alisa Parker a TREE STAND." thinking she was a weirdo. thanks for coming clean and my mom will Love this story when you tell her this summer!!

btw, can't wait to see you guys next weeeeeek!