CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Weddings

Tonight we went to the wedding of our next door neighbors daughter. It was very nice. We especially like that although there were cars up and down the street for as far as you could see, we merely had to walk out the front door and into the next yard. The weather predicted rain and although it was slightly chilly out there was no rain. The wedding was beautiful and fun, there was a band and dancing. It got my 9 year old daughter super excited about weddings and talking about what hers would be like. I told her that I would make sure she liked it all and we would plan together, but that I would be living my wedding through her. Which leads to a story. You see I got engaged 4 months after my parents left to serve a mission for 3 years- my dad was a mission president in Bolivia. I was 19 and I wasn't expecting to fall in love and plan a wedding, but I did and I knew it was right. So with my Mom in Bolivia my Aunt in Florida was nice enough to plan and take care of the wedding. I was in school and super busy and totally in la la engagement land. The end result was a very gorgeous wedding that I chose very little of. A surprise wedding if you will. I chose the announcement, the dresses for the bridsemaids etc and my dress. Other than that-- working over such a distance with the amount of time we had and the amount of stress I had with work, school and engagement, (I got a D in anatomy that sememster) I wasn't able to help much with the wedding. I think my Aunt did try to involve me and now that I think about it I was never home to get a hold of. Thinking about this now I am still trying to figure out what happened. Oh and during the short wedding planning we did have, I left for week around Thanksgiving to go visit my parents in Bolivia- it really was an insanely crazy time. The wedding was so nice and my Aunt has great taste and chose pretty much things I would have chosen had I been there for every detail, still it leaves me wanting to plan a wedding! So needless to say I am very excited to help plan Ashlin's wedding and I have lots of years to think about it!

4 comments:

lrbodine said...

I just read your comment about going to the Matheson's. I totally remember them and I can't believe that Bethany is all grown up!

I think everyone has something they want to change about their wedding! Luckily mine was pretty much what I wanted BUT I let my mother-in-law be in charge of my bouquet and everytime I look at pictures with the bouquet in it - I get upset because even though I gave her pictures and everything of what I wanted . . . .it was NOT at all what I wanted. I know it's silly to still get upset about it but I do! Luckily everything else was great.

Julie said...

The difference between you and me is that I have no desire to plan a wedding. I didn't do too much for my own and I don't have a yearning to do my daughter's. I'm sure I'll want to when the time comes, but I just don't have a creative or stylish bone in my body. Sad, huh?

Alisa said...

Yes you do-- I have seen your house and you do a great job. Also you scrapbook and that is more creativity than I can sometimes handle.

anna said...

i can't decide if that story is sad or cute? a little of both. except the part where you say you can't wait to plan you 9-year-old's wedding. i mean, let the kid be a kid for a while. just kidding!! you're such a great mom with so many good ideas...i'm sure she will love your input. most brides don't really care about their wedding either. i didn't. thus, the 10-day engagement i had with your brother. and i loved it. what matters is how much you love each other, not how great your reception is. most brides don't even get to eat their food, much less enjoy the beauty of the place.