CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Rosemary Artichoke White Bean Hummus

Yes, another hummus recipe and its a good one. We had run out of hummus and I was missing it. I spread it on wraps, eat it for dip with veggies, and eat it with crackers or baked (homemade) tortilla chips for a snack. Last time I made hummus (I posted it- traditional) I was grabbing stuff out of the pantry and saw a jar of artichokes. I thought, "hmm that would be really good in hummus- I should try that sometime." When I was at the grocery store yesterday I looked at their hummus selection and saw one called garlic artichoke. I almost bought it, but it was so expensive for such a small amount. Plus I don't usually like store bought hummus as much as homemade. Plus it had a lot of fat and calories compared to my homemade kind. So I resolved to make my own. I like that you can use different types of beans to make hummus so I decided to experiment here. I had navy beans in my pantry needing to be used-- the end result, GREAT. Here I came up with this recipe which I will list below. I was pleasantly surprised by how godo it was and will definitely make it again. Ed loved it, Sam loved it and Ashlin liked it we all chose to eat it for lunch, except Ashlin. She never has liked hummus, of any kind from any place, as much as the rest of us. Oh and this time I have a picture and the nutrition info.








ROSEMARY ARTICHOKE WHITE BEAN HUMMUS

1 can navy beans drained and rinsed
1 jar marinated artichokes drained
2 Tbl tahini (if you have it)
1/4-1/2- broth of choice
1-2 tsp garlic pwdr to taste (or use 1-2 cloves fresh. I was lazy)
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp lemon juice (just a splash)
a sprinkle of pepper and cayenne
mine didn't need salt because the broth and beans and artichokes had enough already

I blended it all in a food processor but if you use the more broth a blender should work well. The artichokes were blended, but I think next time I might chunk them up, because I think chunks of artichoke would be really good in it.

Nutrition information: 1/2 cup
Serving size 1/2 cup. Servings per recipe 5.

With tahini No tahini added
165 calories 126 calories
4 g fat a trace (tahini adds healthy fat and protein, makes it taste better
5.3 protein 3.5 makes it creamier, and makes it a more complete snack)
4.6 g fiber 4.6

The tortilla chips and veggies were really good with this. I learned that beans and rice or beans and corn tortilla make a complete protein. So these chips with the hummus should make a complete protein. I bought a package of corn tortillas it is only 110 calories for 2 of them. I cut then in triangles and lay them on a foil covered cookie sheet, spray them with pam and sprinkle them with salt. I then bake them at 475* for a few mintues then flip them and bake them for a few minutes again. I make a whole bunch and put some in a ziplock for later. 8 chips has 110 calories- not bad. 1 gram of fat (plus whatever the pam adds) 2 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein. I don't know how this compares to store bought baked kind but I don't like those as well and they break whenever you dip them.

I am off to take the kids roller skating. I was looking for a different kind of exercise from the regular. This works to make the kids happy too. I have tons more to post. Pics from the last snow we got (its was a BIG one) Pics from Alex' birthday. And Rockband- one reason I have had so little time to post or do anything else lately! Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Erin said...

That looks yummy! I wish I could just come over and eat some...so I wouldn't have to make my own. I will have to try that. Good invention!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try it -- you know how I LOVE your hummus! Thanks for the nutrition info, too!

Julie said...

That looks so good! I love marinated artichokes but don't find many ways to use them except this one creamy rice salad that yummy but fattening. We'll certainly try it!

Alisa said...

As the the hummus sat in the refrigerator it gained a stronger rosemary flavor. I thought it sounded good to have the rosemary in there, but I prefer the taste the hummus had earlier on before the rosemary flavor got stronger. So my advive maybe leave out the rosemary-- so now I need to change the name of the dip!

Alisa said...

As the the hummus sat in the refrigerator it gained a stronger rosemary flavor. I thought it sounded good to have the rosemary in there, but I prefer the taste the hummus had earlier on before the rosemary flavor got stronger. So my advive maybe leave out the rosemary-- so now I need to change the name of the dip!

lrbodine said...

Once again - looks like a yummy recipe. I really need to get the ingredients to make all of these different kinds of hummus!

Oh and we are huge Rock Band fans at our house. We got it for Christmas and Rob and I are known to stay up late just playing with the two of us. :)

Alisa said...

So I accidentally left my last comment twice because the site was giving me trouble. Anyway I just tasted the hummus again right now and have decided it is good with the rosemary, and my taste buds must have been funny last time. The rosemary was not too strong-- so changing the name back. He he.

Alisa said...

lachelle we do the exact same thing with rockband it is so bad!

Rebecca Parker said...

Little exotic for Chris & the boys, but I think I'm gonna try it for the Super Bowl. Not too into the teams this year without the Hawks, but @ least I'll enjoy the snacks straight from Church-good Sabbath activity, eh? Thanks for being more creative than I:)