CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 14, 2008

The Great Cereal Debate

How many of you allow your kids to eat sugar cereal and what do you consider a sugar cereal? The story: I was in the cereal isle on two different occasions when I heard two different mothers visiting with two different friends in the isle. Both times just as I was walking by I heard the mom say to her own set of kids (they were bored while she chatted and so she was trying to keep them productively occupied) "Go pick out some cereal.....(short pause) not a sugar kind!" Growing up my mom didn't buy sugar kinds for a long time. Non sugar cereal included Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, Chex and Raisin Bran (it passed even though it has sugar- more than Frosted Mini Wheats) Sugar kind included cereals like Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs etc. So we would pour ourselves a bowl of Cheerios, then we would go grab the sugar bowl and scoop a bunch of sugar on it, way more than would have come on any "sugar cereal". I remember a mound of sugar sitting in the bottom of the bowl with the milk after the cereal was gone-- gross! I also remember my brother Brady tricking me one time and pouring the whole thing of sugar in when I wasn't looking-- it tasted so bad! He could barely keep from cracking up. Brothers... (That was mostly for Kariann's benefit and anyone else who knows Brady--yes the guy who wears free shirts not just at home, so does Ed) So anyway remembering all of this, I have decided long ago that I am going to buy sugar cereal. I am not always going to be there to adjust how much sugar they put on and if I let them have no sugar at all they would never eat it. I buy it, and this situation in the cereal isle, made me feel kind of crappy for it. My kids love Raisin Bran and Frosted Mini Wheats and I feel pretty good about that. However Alex isn't too much a fan of cereal and I end up making him an egg and toast most of the time. See so its okay--! Ok so let me know what all of you think about sugar vs non-sugar cereal.

0 comments: